Sunday, June 5, 2011

WWII Letter 1946 Prisoner Of War Killed WW II 2 WW2 46

An original World War Two related letter including the envelope written by Irving Conniwell.  The envelope is postmarked 1946. In the letter he talks about a prisoner of war being killed. The letter reads:

Dearest Sweetheart;

Another day finished Honey and no letter for me today......about nine o'clock this morning one of my PWs was killed.  He was working on a machine that lifts lumber....the machine toppled over and killed him instantly.  Naturally there has been investigations all day and I wouldn't doubt but what there'll be more tomorrow.  It was an accident but my personal belief is that it was due to reckless handling of the machine by the driver of it.  He is an island boy about eighteen and expected to be drafted tomorrow.  I suppose because it's a PW he'll be cleared of all charges but if I had anything to do with it, he'd be up for manslaughter...........There isn't much more that I can tell you about the death of the PW.  I didn't see it happen so all anyone can tell is from the stories the ones that saw it tell.  The only witnesses to the accident were the driver and the PWs.  If I see anything in the papers about it I'll clip them out for you.........................Irv

The letter is in very good condition, with some light wear.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thank you for looking.To view my similar items for sale please click on the link,"View seller's other items." located near the top right on this page.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Winning bid will pay $2.00 for shipping and handling.  Shipping discounts available for multiple items won. For orders shipped in America take 50% off the regular shipping charge for each additional item won. (Please note: The highest shipping and handling charge will be charged the full amount first.)  If you would like me to hold any items won to combine shipping with a future auction let me know and I will accommodate. I accept PayPal.   Will ship to any location world wide, all shipping and handling rates to locations outside the United States are twice the listed amount in the item description.  Buyers are responsible, for all customs, and international taxes, etc.


View the original article here